Monday, September 23, 2013

What We're Using 2013-2014

Every year we evaluate the girls curriculum, we want to make sure that it's still working well for them. It would be easiest on me if we picked one and stuck with it of course, but I do remind myself frequently that the reason I choose to homeschool is so I can taylor my child's education to my child. Does this mean that we end up swapping, switching and moving things around sometimes - Absolutely! Totally worth it! 

Nanners - 10 years old
Math - Horizon's Math 5, Teaching Textbooks 5
Writing - Institute for Excellence in Writing
Spelling - All About Spelling Level 3
History - Hougthon Mifflin History 5
Science - Harcourt Science 5
Grammar - Growing With Grammar 4
Reading - One Minute Readers, Classic Lit Books
Geography - Mommy Made :)

Spunky - 7 years old
Writing - Institute for Excellence in Writing
Spelling - All About Spelling
History - Houghton Mifflin Social Studies 2, Internet Resources
Science - Harcourt Science 2, Internet Resources
Grammar - Growing with Grammar 2
Reading - One Minute Readers, Chapter Books of her choice
Geography - Mommy Made  :)
Math - Horizons Math 3

Baby Big Girl - 5 years old
Writing - Primary Arts of Language
Spelling - All About Spelling
History - Made Made :)
Science - Mommy Made :)
Grammar - Growing With Grammar 1
Reading - Reading Eggs
Geography - Mommy Made :)
Math - Horizons Math 1


So far this is working great, but I'm sure that we'll encounter a few bumps along the road. Every year we get better, and every year I learn new things about the girls and myself. Nanners will be doing Horizons math during the day, and following up with Teaching Textbooks in the afternoon as "homework". We decided to do this because while I like both programs, and so does she, we want some extra practice for her this year. We're hoping that it will help get her math level, and understanding of the areas that she continues to struggle with closer to her "grade level". Who knows, we may end up abandoning that before the holidays. We'll play it by ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment